Saturday, March 6, 2021

The Face Behind the Mask

 This past year has been weird.

There's no other way to put it. We've been in the midst of a pandemic. Things we do know are things that we wouldn't have believed a year ago. These types of cloth face masks most people use weren't available a year ago and now you can buy them from just about anywhere. Even your favorite designer brand is selling them. 

The way we interact with people has changed a bit. We don't see smiles. We can only see the eyes. It's required us to become much more expressive with our eyes in order to communicate how we feel. 

One of my realizations is that beyond making larger expressions for others when I wear a mask, I've started making them to myself. I've noticed it as I walk around the grocery store. While my inner dialog is going I make facial expressions in response to what I'm thinking about. And these aren't usually small expressions. But most of this is all hidden under the mask. 

This has put me in a bit of a 'chicken or egg' scenario. Did I already make faces when thinking to myself in public? Did this start after wearing a mask? Did I do this before and the mask just allows the expression to be larger and still hidden?

And my most important question: is this going to keep happening once I no longer wear a mask!?!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment